Summarize all project costs in the downloadable form below.
All funds requested from DH should be reasonable and must reflect the costs of the project. We are a humanities organization. The funds we provide are intended to defray the costs of the humanities content of programming/activity.
DH Funds Requested
- DH funds CANNOT be used to pay sponsor or co-sponsor organization staff costs not directly connected to the specific humanities program/activity.
- DH will consider funding only those project personnel costs which will not otherwise be compensated by the sponsor (for example, compensation for external humanities scholars, planners, etc.).
- Only a minimal amount of personnel expense should be charged to DH grant funds. The personnel costs should be consistent with usual rates of pay.
- Travel and Per Diem
- DH funds may be used to supply per diem (including refreshments) for the audience as it is considered an allowable cost. HOWEVER, refreshment costs must be demonstrated to be necessary and reasonable – your organization must exercise discretion and judgment in ensuring that these costs are appropriate, necessary, and managed in a manner that minimizes costs to the Federal award.
- Domestic travel costs are allowed for out-of- town personnel only. Mileage is reimbursed at $.51/mile.
- This is restricted to consumable items, e.g. film, paper products, etc.
- These are items that are not reusable.
- Funds may be requested to meet expenses for rental of a meeting place or equipment such as audio visual aids.
- Promotion and Printing
- Funds may be requested to supplement the organization’s promotional and publicity efforts
- You should request funds for an outside evaluator and the cost of materials for audience evaluations. The outside evaluator usually costs $200.
- List any expenses not covered by the above categories.
Sponsoring Organization Cost-Share
This refers to the sponsoring organization’s cash and in-kind contributions to the project. In-kind contributions are the estimated values of contributed time, services, facilities or supplies. Total cost-share (cash + in-kind) contributions must be equal to or greater than the amount requested from DH. Waivers may be given under special circumstances for Opportunity Grants, but the Grants Officer must be consulted to determine eligibility.
- Record as cost-sharing the value of time—both compensated by your organization and uncompensated—spent by anyone in planning, promoting or implementing the project.
- Salaries for those persons performing the routine duties of their own positions should be part of Cash Cost-Share.
- The value of contributed time may be based on an individual’s actual salary.
- Domestic Travel
- Donated (not reimbursed) travel by participants or staff may be included.
- Any materials used but not purchased with grant funds should be included
- The estimated or actual rental values of any space or equipment used in planning or implementing your project should be included. If rental value is not known, we suggest $100 for use of a room for each meeting.
- Promotion and Printing
- Include the cost of producing news releases, announcements, fliers and invitations to the program. These may be paper for in-person events, or they may be forms online.
- Include the cost of printing audience evaluations.
- Please list gifts from other organizations in the appropriate column.